[Doggiebox] new selection methods?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Mon Aug 4 16:11:47 EDT 2003

At 23:28 03-08-03, Ben Kennedy wrote:
>I am almost inclined to scrap the current mode whereby you have to press
>Cmd in order to have context-sensitive drum selection, and make that the
>default behaviour.  Is there anyone on this list who does NOT use this,
>and instead prefers to mouse back and forth to the drum list each time to
>choose a new drum?
>I originally designed it to make the functioning simple and obvious for
>new users, thinking that they would become confused to see the mouse
>cursor change as they moved over the patterns vertically.  However, I
>suspect that after using the app for a few minutes, the intended use
>becomes natural.  Is this true?

I think this rapidly becomes true for a new user.  I started by ignoring
the context-sensitive stuff simply because I'm usually too lazy to do
things like pressing the Cmd button while mousing, but quickly found I was
even lazier to travel back and forth between the drumkit menu and pattern
editor.

>If we were to go this route (making context-sensitive the principal
>mode), then Cmd could become the method used to select individual regions
>within the patterns (as one might more naturally expect anyway, à la
>Finder icon selection).

This certainly has my vote.  I think the functionality gain from being able
to select individual regions within the patterns more than outweighs the
risk of confusing a novice user with a context sensitive cursor (it seems
to me that applications are increasingly making their cursors context
sensitive anyway).

mailto:cea at carlaz.com