[doggiebox] Re: resolution increase & sampling

Steve McNally steve at meanbusiness.com
Tue Feb 11 08:15:58 EST 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 06:40  PM, Ben Kennedy wrote:

> On 10 2 2003 at 6:30 pm -0500, Steve McNally wrote:
>
>> 2) Ability to keep initial beat when increasing resolution
>> i.e. I first have 4/4 with some 4 highhats, two kicks and two snares;
>> when
>> i go to 64/64, those 8 notes should be in time where they ought to be
>> and
>> I can add additional notes from there. (Virtual Drummer does this)
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're illustrating here; can you
> describe
> the issue in a bit more detail Steve?

Sure -

Open a song. Double-click a bar that has notes in it. Time sig dialog
comes up.

Change the existing time sig from 4/4 (e.g.) to 8/8.

The original notes stay in "their original position" rather than into
the correct beats in time. It would be much preferable if increasing
resolution would keep the original beat specified intact.

>> 4) Not really a feature request, but: What is DoggieBox doing when it
>> samples an AIFF? Why is the resulting sound different from the input
>> file?
>
> Huh... what do you mean, is it being mangled?  What are the properties
> of
> your source file (in terms of bit depth, sample rate and channels)?
> The
> only difference you should find is the level; the input will be
> attenuated slightly in the mix.

the level / attenuation might be it, then.  I will look for specific
examples of inputs and how they appear different (IMO) in the output.

Again, thanks for Doggiebox -