just some ideas...

Justin M. kabababoy at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 16 01:13:55 EST 2003

I haven't been able to use the new build yet because of the package
problem...which is odd, since I'm set up as the admin and haven't had the
problem before...but here are just a few questions/comments from a guitarist
using doggiebox with a home studio.

1) I think someone else might have mentioned individual volume controls for
each drum, but I'd like to expand a little on that, since I'm not sure
exactly what they had in mind. I'd like to see the controls set in the score
itself, and what would be even handier is a crescendo feature of some sort
so that I could do something like have a snare or kick beat grow louder to
lead into a chorus. If that makes sense...I'm obviously not as up on some of
the technical aspects, and I suspect a lot of people like me would like a
feature like that rather than setting an individual volume on each drumbeat,
which is the only other way I could think of to do it.

2) When I'm adding bars, the bars always come in at the beginning...it's not
too much of a problem now that I plan for it, but I pretty much just sit
down with a short sketch of the song on headphones and map out how I want to
do the drums, and since I'm never sure of how many bars the song actually
has, it becomes a bit of a problem when I realize I'm short. I also had some
trouble copying and pasting measures...I can't remember if it took out the
entire bar or how it worked when I tried (I pretty much just gave up, I have
a short a attention span), but it would be great if there were separate
features to copy and paste both the bar itself or just the contents of the
bar into another bar...again, if that makes sense.

3) Have you thought about adding stereo functionality to individual drum
lines? It might be there and I'm missing it...I haven't had a chance to play
with the program as much as I'd like. But it would be nice to be able to pan
a drum into the left or right channel instead of having everything centered.
I've found some ways to deal with that in mixing, but I've recently
regressed from using ProTools to using my trusty Tascam (I don't know why, I
just prefer analog recording, even on a four-track) and so I don't have the
luxury of nearly limitless tracks like I used to.

4) I might be the only one with the problem, but my computer does something
weird when I try to export to .aiff...basically it tells me it's been
exported, and it will then sit there until I force it to cancel. If I cancel
too early, the .aiff doesn't play. I'm not sure what the time limit I have
to let it sit there is...something more than five minutes and less than an
hour.

5) Are there or will there be more possible sounds on the registered
version? As I've said, I'm not a drummer, and I won't be importing any
sounds myself...some things like brush work and stuff like that would be
awesome.

6) I think maybe someone has mentioned this, but it would be nice if there
was a separate selector on the left for things like the muted snares and so
on rather than using the pull down menus.

Just some thoughts, like I said...this is a great program and I'm amazed at
how realistic a sound you can get from it. My main problem with using drum
tracks and so on is they always sound like a drum machine, and I don't get
that feeling nearly as much with doggiebox. Apologies in advance for
anything I've mentioned that's already gone through the idea wringer.

-Justin