multiple kits in a song?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Jul 17 17:31:06 EDT 2003

For I guess a few months now I've been musing over how to put together a
Doggiebox drum kit (or kits) to model a Latin-style percussion
section.  I've been thinking about the way the Doggiebox UI is organized,
particularly as summed up in the manual:
-----
>The rationale behind our five-group drum arrangement hinges on two concepts:
>   1. A human drummer, with two arms and two legs, is typically able to hit a
>      maximum of only four distinct drums simultaneously.
>   2. A huge grid providing slots for dozens of instruments quickly
> becomes very
>      unwieldy, although the grid paradigm itself is useful for visually
> sorting
>      information.
>Consequently, the approach is to group the drum kit instruments into five
>general categories, like so (from top to bottom):
>   * accessory cymbals (crashes and other);
>   * rhythmic cymbals (hi hat and rides);
>   * secondary drums (tom-toms);
>   * principal drums (snare drum);
>   * foot-operated drums (kick drum).
-----

This works great for modeling a single drummer, but I'm thinking that
perhaps the UI concept could be expanded to include the concept of a rhythm
_section_.  For an easily accessible example, the contemporary Santana band
has a rock kit drummer, a congas/bongo/quinto/tumba percussionist, and a
timbales percussionist (and probably they or someone is shaking a maraca or
whacking some claves occasionally, too).

In theory, one could assemble a single, monster, Doggiebox kit with all
these elements, though this would kind of violate the principles of the
Doggiebox rationale (and I'm not sure how amongst the 5 categories I would
want to sling all these extra drums anyway).  In a sense, the Doggiebox
rationale suggests that to put together a percussion section like this, one
would really want to put together a percussion section: to load _3_
seperate drum kits -- a rock kit, a congas etc kit, and a timbales etc. kit
-- which would appear simultaneously in the Drum Kit List pallette (though
labeled and grouped seperately).  Then one would proceed to compose your
Doggiebox song as normal, but conducting a section rather than a single
drummer/kit.

Would something like this be sensible/useful/feasible?  The ability to load
multiple kits would work let you get into things like modeling situtations
like the Allman Bros or Grateful Dead where there are two or more
drummers/percussionists.  Heck, with the addition of the talked-about
"humanization" feature to offset timing and velocity slightly from kit to
kit, one could quickly imitate a marching band ;)

mailto:cea at carlaz.com