[doggiebox] Doggiebox and other instruments

Carl Freire cfreire at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 22 11:19:42 EDT 2003

At 11:25 AM -0500 5/22/03, Count Rockula wrote:
> I'm a Pro Tools user, and I asked the Pro Tools user forum about Doggie Box.
> I've not yet even tried to mess with it. But plan to. Anyway, there were few
> who knew about it, and a couple that did passed it off as very poor program
> that can't get the job done in a professional manner. I haven't seen this
> for myself. I don't know what their standards are though. It all sounds
> WONDERFUL in concept.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great deal--a pretty powerful digital
8-track program for FREE.  I guess lots of professional audio folk swear by
the commercial version these days, though whether that is a good thing or
bad thing is a subject to much debate (analog vs. digital, keep it plain
vs. endless mixdown tweaking, etc.).

My complaint--the only one so far, anyway--is that when I want to use it, I
have to first go through The Procedure.  To get started with my Fostex, I
plug my microphone in and turn the power on.  To use ProTools, I have to
open the Memory panel and change all the settings.  Then I have to wait
while the system reboots, not forgetting that I also have to use a special
startup set of extensions and control panels.  Then, once the system is up,
I have to tinker with the Sound panel when it comes on to readjust the
default audio input levels.  Then I can boot ProTools.  And then when I'm
done, I have to undo things so I can use my computer again for the other
things in life.

I know it's not a lot to do from a certain perspective, but when compared
to "turn power on," it's a pain in the butt.  Of course, I know also that
once you've made the mental adjustment to The Procedure, it no longer seems
to be such a pain.  But I'm not there yet.

FWIW.

Carl Freire
Oakland, California
cfreire at ix.netcom.com