[doggiebox] Doggiebox and other instruments

Hermiteer hermiteer at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 11:31:55 EDT 2003

> I have a (now rather old) Roland VS-1680 and Doggiebox is my drummer
> :)  For my set-up, the best technique _seems_ to be to assemble a basic
> percussion track in Doggiebox, export it as an AIFF, playback the AIFF and
> record it on the 1680, then record guitars, etc. on top of that.  The trick
> is that I often want to change the details of the percussion track as I
> work on the song (add fill here, extra cymbal there), but it's difficult to
> synchronize the start of play to rerecord the drum track directly (thus my
> MIDI feature requests some weeks back :)  It works out (at present) a
> little easier to simply slap a whole new AIFF over the original percussion
> track on the 1680 to get it on the machine and roughly in place, and then
> "nudge" the whole thing into synchronization with the other
> instruments.  It's still a little tedious, but not impossible.

I do basically the same thing, except that I've found it invaluable to add a
measure of "count off" cymbal hits before the drum track starts.  This
ensures that the other tracks start at the right time and allows you to swap
out the drum track with no ill effects on the timing of the other tracks.

I use Doggiebox to create the drums, or at least enough to outline the
completed song structure.  Export it as AIFF and import into tracks 1 and 2
in Deck LE.  From there my guitars plug into a Zoom multipedal box that
plugs into an Eidoral UA5 USB audio hub.  Guitars (and bass and voice) are
recorded in succession and as long as you monitor in the analog domain (set
Deck to use the UA5 as both input and output, plug headphones or monitor
speakers into the UA5) there are no latency issues.

I have not noticed, nor attempted to notice, the metering difference between
Doggiebox and Deck that other users have noted.

Cheers,

Christoph

PS.  Ben, Doggiebox was the godsend app I've been searching for, I love it!