[doggiebox] Doggiebox and other instruments

Patrick O'Donoghue pdiddyod at hotmail.com
Fri May 23 11:01:00 EDT 2003

One thing I try to do is this....I always add the 1-2-3-4 (I use the
rim-shot or side-shot) at the beginning of the Doggiebox drum patten WHEN
I'M BUILDING IT in Doggiebox, it then allows me to count-off the exact same
way whenever I swap out drum tracks on a particular song. (I'm careful not
to duplicate that opening bar -- i.e., the 1-2-3-4 count-off -- when cutting
and pasting for an extended drum loop.)
After I have a basic (i.e., repetitive) drum pattern imported into Pro
Tools, I'll record the guitars, vocals, etc.  Then, after the basic song
structure is in place, I'll go back to the original Doggiebox file (which
still has the 1-2-3-4 count-off intro), make changes to the body of the file
adding fills, crashes, etc.. at points where the song needs it, then import
that newly revised drum track into Pro Tools. (If you do it on a new track,
and leave the original drum track in place, you can mute all other tracks
and listen to see if the two drum tracks are in sync. They should be.)

Then I delete the first repetitive drum track, and also delete the 1-2-3-4
count-off  prior to mixing out to the Master Mix.