[doggiebox] Doggiebox and other instruments

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Fri May 23 16:29:02 EDT 2003

At 15:01 23/05/2003, Patrick O'Donoghue wrote:
>One thing I try to do is this....I always add the 1-2-3-4 (I use the
>rim-shot or side-shot) at the beginning of the Doggiebox drum patten WHEN
>I'M BUILDING IT in Doggiebox, it then allows me to count-off the exact
>same way whenever I swap out drum tracks on a particular song. (I'm
>careful not to duplicate that opening bar -- i.e., the 1-2-3-4 count-off
>-- when cutting and pasting for an extended drum loop.)
>After I have a basic (i.e., repetitive) drum pattern imported into Pro
>Tools, I'll record the guitars, vocals, etc.  Then, after the basic song
>structure is in place, I'll go back to the original Doggiebox file (which
>still has the 1-2-3-4 count-off intro), make changes to the body of the
>file adding fills, crashes, etc.. at points where the song needs it, then
>import that newly revised drum track into Pro Tools. (If you do it on a
>new track, and leave the original drum track in place, you can mute all
>other tracks and listen to see if the two drum tracks are in sync. They
>should be.)
>Then I delete the first repetitive drum track, and also delete the 1-2-3-4
>count-off  prior to mixing out to the Master Mix.

I believe I see what you mean, though I gather you can load/import an AIFF
file directly into Pro Tools?

In my situation, (assuming I've exported from Doggiebox to AIFF), I can't
directly load/import an AIFF file onto the VS-1680.   I actually have to
_play_ the file from an AIFF-playing application on my Mac, with audio-out
from my Mac going through ye olde audio cables to the VS-1680.  That is, I
first press "record" on the VS-1680, and then press "play" on the Mac
AIFF-playing application of my choice. It's just like pressing "record" on
the VS-1680, and then plucking a guitar string or starting to sing.  So my
chief problem in replacing drum tracks is making sure that I always start
playing the AIFF in the same place, whether it starts with a 1-2-3-4 or
anything else (because if all the audible cues are part of the track I'm
replacing, as you describe, then there's nothing I can hear to tell me when
to press "play").

However, having a _seperate_ "click track" that included a 1-2-3-4 count-in
would give me something to hear so I know when to press "play" (to start
playing a percussion part that _doesn't_ have a 1-2-3-4 count-in).  I could
also then compare the click track and new percussion track in playback, as
you describe, to ensure they are in sync.

mailto:cea at carlaz.com