[doggiebox] Doggiebox and other instruments

Michael Carlyle mcarlyle at charter.net
Fri May 23 12:53:34 EDT 2003

I usually try to compose with Doggiebox alone, played
through my computer speakers, with my guitar on my lap.
I'll get the basic structure down, then spice up later,
just like you guys are talking about.

I don't see the point in comitting anything to disk before
I'm ready, even though I could easily swap a new doggie
box file into place for an old one. That's a personal
choice.

Exported files always seem to have the same start point,
making the swapping easy for those of use using file
import, provided that the drum track is structured
properly first.

Short anecdote: I had my singer/lyricist "sign off" on a
basic track, allowing me to build from there. When it came
time to lay the vocals down, he stops in mid-singing and
says "that ain't right".

I had to take an entire section out of my song, cut and
paste style. I was eventually able to pull it off rather
seamlessly. The moral of the story is, I guess, that even
when you think you've got the drums nailed, you just never
know.