[doggiebox] time signatures

Carl Freire cfreire at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 25 15:32:53 EDT 2003

At 8:15 AM -0400 5/25/03, Mike Carlyle wrote:
> This makes it challenging when I sit down with Doggiebox. I usually do
> a couple of false starts, changing the combination of tempo/time
> sig/note value.
>
> What's the most reliable way for me to figure out what time signature
> to start programming a beat with?

<soapbox>
Well, frankly I don't see the problem with worrying about false starts and
such.  It's part of the joy of learning, and I'm not at all being facetious
when I say that.  This is how we learn things, and the next time you work
in whatever meter it is you're working you'll know.  Better to struggle
through with it and acquire the knowledge than look for a shortcut tool.
</soapbox>

Sermonizing aside, when I was tinkering with ProTools last week or whenever
it was, I discovered that it does have an "identify beat" function.  Record
whatever it is you're working on, select the entire track, and then run the
function.  I tried it only once, but this was with the imported Doggiebox
drum track and hence something that must be easy for any algorithm to
figure out.  Don't know how well it will work with someone playing an
instrument (I imagine pretty well if you're playing repetitive patterns or
at least really accenting the beats), but FWIW.

Carl Freire
Oakland, California
cfreire at ix.netcom.com
cfreire at uclink4.berkeley.edu