[doggiebox] Looking for a killer metal kit

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Mon May 26 13:37:30 EDT 2003

On 23 5 2003 at 7:41 pm -0400, Mike Carlyle wrote:

>I'm not a lawyer ( and I don't even play one on TV) but I think the
>sharing of commercially available drum sounds is a no no for someone in
>Ben's position. That is, I wouldn't be posting these files on a website
>if I were he, and I'm sure he won't.
>
>My humble suggestion would be to not use this list for those types of
>communications, if anyone had a mind to. You've all got each others
>email addresses  (wink wink). Sorry if I'm putting words in any mouths.

Well put, Mike.  :D

It will be interesting to see what kind of legal issues crop up over the
coming months (if any).  That's why I've put that little disclaimer text
at the bottom of the library page.  Basically, I want to facilitate
sharing as much stuff as possible between everyone, but without
sanctioning anything illegal.

Ideally, I'd like to amass kits that people have recorded themsleves.  If
any commercial vendor wants to bless the redistribution of their drum
module sounds, that would be a bonus.

Now, on a tangent of interesting intellectual discussion:

I imagine that verifying or proving the authenticity or origin of sounds
could get very interesting, though.  For example, what if someone were to
play back a MIDI drum piece using some commercial drum module, through a
particular combination of loudspeakers in some personally-designed room,
and mic'd and recorded the result in a particular way?  The resultant
recording would discernibly be different from the original.  But is that
original enough to call an original recording?

At this point I can't afford to hire a permanent legal counsel on staff,
but I guess it would be cool if someday Doggiebox were popular enough
(read: $$) to make that possible ;-)