[doggiebox] Metronome

Ryk Groetchen windrag at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 12:42:25 EDT 2003

Hey Ben,

Its funny, but since I mentioned it I found a metronome that works much
better than MetroGnome, which would quite often skip beats or play
unevenly.

The new one is called Dr. Betotte. You can find it here:
http://homepage.mac.com/seishu/s's_works/
Has a better GUI and the developer is actually alive! :-)

Yeah, I guess its just a GUI thing, but it seems like a drag to have to
open up the whole drum program just for a metronome. I am a flute
player and do hours of scales and patterns, sometimes moving the tempo
up incrementally. Simple is good.

I have written to the developer of Dr. Betotte about a couple of
features I've been craving, and I'll tell you too:

1) The ability to create complex time signatures. I've been playing
some Eastern European melodies that have time signatures like 2+2+3/8,
3+3+2+2/8, etc. I can easily do this in DB, but it would be nice to
have a metronome that would handle it.

2) A friend of mine used to have this great thing called a Trinome. It
was an electric metronome that had three different click sounds. For
anu given period, say 3 seconds, you could subdivide in three different
ways, thus being able to hear and internalize a steady complex
polyrhythm like 3/4/5 or 4/5/7. Very cool. This can be done with DB,
but you have to figure out what number goes into all three, create bars
with the appropriate subdivisions, etc, It would be great to just be
able to click "Polyrhythm" and then choose your subdivisions. I'm a
polyrhythm geek, as you can tell.

Let me know if this is at all interesting. The Dr. Betotte guy may or
may not be interested in these developments, so if I can keep chewing
your ear, great!

Cheers,

Ryk A. Groetchen
windrag at earthlink.net