[Doggiebox] ns_kit notes and more

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Fri Oct 24 10:39:24 EDT 2003

At 17:51 23-10-03, Ben Kennedy wrote:
>On 23 10 2003 at 12:47 pm -0400, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> >there was one section of several measures with just bass and drums
> >(with lots of tom-tom action), but the toms were utterly buried by the
> >bass, and just raising the level on the drums made the hat and snare way
> >too forward.
>
>So can you load the dbkit and raise the level on the toms, saving
>yourself the trouble of tweaking the samples in an editor?

Exactly :)

Haven't actually gotten around to doing yet, but I started asking about how
Mike C. had put together the ns_kit so that I new a little about the
background to the sounds I was messing with before I started changing the
foreground :)

> >Surely, this is probably something where outputing different parts of the
> >percussion to different tracks would be handy
>
>Yeah, this is definitely on the list. :)
>
> >(hmm, if only I could do 8 audio channels out of my PowerBook :)
>
>I've been pretty happy with my MOTU 828mk2 so far... it gives you 8
>outputs (well, 20 actually, if you count the ADAT and monitor channels in
>addition to the analog quarter-inch jacks).

Hmmm, I suspect that is _well_ out of my budget, but I don't quite see how
it works.  I see it will take MIDI channels from the Mac via Firewire, but
what about audio?  Did I just miss that in the list of features :)  I mean,
if I somehow made 8 different drum track outputs for a song from Doggiebox,
I've only got a stereo-out jack on the back of my laptop, so I certainly
can't send 8 tracks through it simultaneously.  Does the MOTU 828mk2 let
you do that via a Firewire connection or something like that?

mailto:cea at carlaz.com