[Doggiebox] drum sample downbeat alignment

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Thu Jan 8 02:30:09 EST 2004

On 05 1 2004 at 9:18 pm -0500, Christoph wrote:

>Take a sampled sound of a shaker "shhhkk-shh".  This sample was recorded at
>a particular tempo, let's say 144.  The "shhhkk-shh" will work fine for a
>song with that or near 144 bpm.  Now take it to a song that is 100 bpm.  The
>"shhhkk-shh" will be too fast because the "-shh" comes too quickly on the
>downbeat.

Hmmm, that's another good point.  Not quite the same but related and just
as important nonetheless.  This could open a can of worms though; how
many parts would one want to configure in a sound?  I wonder in how many
cases this would be a practical concern that would not be better
mitigated by simply devising and using two distinct samples ("shaker
start", "shaker end").