[Doggiebox] iDrum

Mike Carlyle mcarlyle at charter.net
Tue Jun 8 20:17:25 EDT 2004

I just checked this out myself. I have the following observations to
offer for what it's worth:

1) This seems to be geared more towards those interested in creating
looped beats for drum n' bass or techno styles. Not that there's
anything wrong with that! Doggibox, on the other hand, seems to
encourage more "natural" patterns to emerge. This is, in part, I think
due to the fact that you can see more than one pattern at a time.

2) As mentioned, I only see one pattern at a time with idrum. It's a UI
characteristic worthy of it's own bullet point, I think. This is
inhibiting. I often find myself working beyond the confines of one
pattern and flowing into another. It's great to be able to see where
you've been and where you're going  rather than just "where you are".

3) There are some cool things present in the iDrum UI such as the
"swing" level selection. I'm not sure what this does, but it seems to
introduce a bit of timing randomness within the pattern itself, while
retaining the overall timing from pattern start to pattern end. (Huh?
Even I'm having trouble understanding my own sentence).

4) As observed, it's expensive. Whatever the market will bear, I guess.
More power to 'em.

In general, it seems like a niche product that certainly has it's
merits. I don't find iDrum to be a candidate for serious programming,
though. Doggiebox, on the other hand, has completely replaced my Boss
DR550 MKII.