[Doggiebox] iDrum's swing thing

Dan Costello stellaswindow at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 04:20:39 EDT 2004

Mike (and all)--

I just re-read this before sending, and it may sound a bit abrasive or
unappreciative... On the contrary, if I didn't think DoggieBox was one
of THE BEST pieces of music software the Mac has EVER seen, I wouldn't
have bothered to write.  Keep up the fantastic work-- DB is a dream
come true for me and my musical endeavors.
Now, on to my frustration... ;-)

Concerning the swing setting for iDrum, it's most likely a "stretcher"
of the off-beat eighth notes in a pattern, which is a very valuable
feature.  I've wanted to ask about this topic for a while now.

The concept is: straight eighths (all 8 of 'em in a 4/4 measure,
normally on a hi-hat in a rock or latin pattern) occur precisely on,
and precisely half-way between, each beat. (ONE AND / TWO AND /  THREE
AND /  FOUR AND)

A heavy swing pattern would have the hi-hat or ride cymbal off-beat
eighth notes (ex. the 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th ones in a 4/4 measure)
feeling like triplet eighths. (ONE and A /  TWO and A /  THREE and A /
FOUR and A)  The total time of the overall measure, however, and the
timing of the main beats, would be exactly the same as a rock or latin
measure at the same tempo.

If I want a more subtle swing, I would play those off-beats somewhere
in between straight and tripletted. (Whoa, now I'm makin' up words.
Gettin' fired up here.)

So... Solution 1:  if I have a "swing" setting like iDrum's, I could
adjust the timing of the off-beats across the entire pattern (or,
ideally, any section of the pattern I choose) with a simple change of a
single setting.
Solution 2:  If I want to do this in DoggieBox... Do I stretch out the
view of every measure so I can manually place each off-beat cymbal hit
(or "swung" hit on whatever drum) a hemi-demi-semiquaver or two late?
This will not only take an unreasonable amount of time and effort, but
it will also make for an extremely messy DB-to-MIDI-to-sheet music
conversion, with lots of flags and double-dotted notes... most written
"swing" patterns display the 8th notes straight, and indicate the swing
feel at the top or at each swung section. (light/med/heavy swing, up by
the tempo)
Or Solution 3:  Do I record my own custom cymbal (or whatever drum)
sound with half a triplet's worth of extra space in front of it, so
when it triggers precisely on the beat, it doesn't actually make the
sound until a half-triplet later? This would work for a "strictly
swing" kit... But many jazz charts flip-flop back and forth between
straight 8ths and swung 8ths... now I need a bigger kit to include both
recorded sounds...? What if I don't want a full hard swing? Now I need
ANOTHER recording of those sounds that are only SLIGHTLY late?  Ugh...

Anyone else working with swing patterns have a more practical solution
to this?

Thanks--
Dan Costello

Re: excerpt from DBDigest Vol.12 issue 5