[Doggiebox] Imitating double bass drum?

mcarlyle at charter.net mcarlyle at charter.net
Fri Jun 18 12:05:38 EDT 2004

Assuming the obvious reply (why???) is innapropriate, I think you're more or less on the right track.

If you're after realism, you should be careful with your hi-hat. You can't be double-bassing and foot pedaling your hi-hat simultaneously. You can hit the closed hi-hat with a stick if your real-life kit has one of those clutches that allow you to disconnect the pedal and allow gravity to let the top cymbal sit on top of the bottom one.

There's also the double pedal/single drum configuration to consider. In this case, the drum does not have time to relax before the "left" foot hits it and therefore, purists will insist that it is not true double-bass.

Personally, the only double bass tune I've ever appreciated is Alex VanHalen's intro to Hot for Teacher. He also does some very interesting things with the timing of his ride in that intro.