[Doggiebox] Re: Doggiebox Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2 - Confusing Interface?

Mike Listrom mike at bradfieldband.com
Wed Mar 3 11:48:59 EST 2004

On Mar 2, 2004, at 1:10 AM, doggiebox-request at lists.zygoat.ca wrote:

>> I find this confounding User Interface very frustrating.
>> It's killed my inspiration for today.
>
> I suspect that you have found this in particular because you have
> become
> very accustomed to the 1.0 style of doing things, and have jumped right
> in to 1.1 without a full awareness of the design changes.  This is not
> criticism of you at all.  It is more a testament to the lack of present
> documentation, and the fact that I have thrown out the 1.1 beta series
> you folks to play with as it develops.

This might be the case, but could be avoided by more human mapping
techniques. I am an Interactive/Industrial Designer, and I feel very
strongly about visual cues enabling people to quickly rationalize novel
items, such as the new user interface. I would highly suggest to push
these ideas into your product to greatly reduce confusion. The problem
lies in the fact that the interface buttons, menu items etc afford a
particular action, and the more actions hidden/ unannounced to new
users, or even seasoned users, the more difficult it is. Visual cues
(shapes of buttons and color, highlight shades of color (that already
exists) and other things, even audible cues can greatly reduce
confusion, and then you can get as novel as you want with the
interface, because people will have the ability to rationalize the
interface intuitively.

You have to merge the pre-existing knowledge people have of computer
interfaces, and blend that with novelty, and you have to understand the
psychology of designing for us stupid humans, and the next thing you
know, it's a perfect synthesis.

I know I am just a preachy dude, and I will not say another word about
the interface unless I am called upon, but check out Donald A. Norman's
book, "the design of everyday things". It's short and sweet, and has
given me the ability to rationalize things previously ill-defined in
human interface design.

  I think you all are ON THE RIGHT TRACK with the shapes of the drum
instruments, etc, but push it even farther, get crazy! get nuts! make
doggie box the coolest app for os x! WIN AWARDS! hahah

alright peace.
mike listrom