[Doggiebox] 1C3: Recipes and faster kits

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Wed May 12 16:04:17 EDT 2004

On 11 May 2004, at 21:47, Ben Kennedy wrote:
> The included "GB Rock Drums.dbkit" is an initial (incomplete) effort at
> creating a dbkit for the Rock Drums kit supplied with Apple's
> GarageBand,
> using icons from the Reverend Rat's set.  If you have GarageBand
> installed on your system, please attempt using this kit and report any
> problems you have making it work.  If anyone would like to pick up the
> ball and complete this kit, I would encourage it -- please mention so
> on
> the mailing list so we can avoid duplication of effort.  I would like
> eventually have all of the GarageBand kits available for when Doggiebox
> 1.2 is ready for release.  Same with ns_kit 7, too!

So have you (or anyone else) got a general handle on the way Apple has
organized their samples?  It seems to me like file names ending in 01
seem to be the highest velocity, while file names ending in 04 seem to
be the lowest (actually, I sometimes have difficulty being sure, though
that may be the limitations of my iBook's built-in speakers, since I
haven't had a chance to plug anything in to listen more closely.

I think Apple's sample are missing a lot of sounds I'd like in a Latin
kit, for example (3 congas, I think, but just regular hits I think, no
mutes or slaps or suchlike).  Still, I thought I might try playing with
this to see how I got on with it ....

Does anyone know of any nice online resource that has mapped out all
Apple's GarageBand samples, the which and the what?