[Doggiebox] 1C4 posted, featuring MMC

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Tue May 18 17:00:48 EDT 2004

On 13 5 2004 at 6:10 am -0400, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

>Well, my deck's user manual contains instructions for setting up a
>software sequencer (like Cakewalk or Logic) as slave to my deck, or vice
>versa, though that probably won't be much help since all the actual MIDI
>stuff happens somewhere that the user doesn't see.  I also have the
>complete MIDI spec for my deck (which I slurped off the web from
>somewhere back when I was first looking at this stuff).  I don't know
>how useful these things are, but MMC is supposed to be pretty
>standardized (-- anyway, I've put the PDF manual and spec on my web site:

Thanks for those manuals Carl, they were exactly what I was looking for.

And with that... *drumroll* a new beta build featuring some rudimentary
MIDI machine control!

<http://www.doggiebox.com/distribution/Doggiebox-1C4.zip>

The release notes:
-----
Some cosmetic and functional refinements have been made to the drum kit
editor; in particular to the MIDI assignment controls, including a new
pop-up menu for quickly assigning General MIDI drum presets.

Also, a couple of MIDI improvements have been made relating to song playback:
	• MMC LOCATE/PLAY and STOP events are now sent at when playing back in
the playlist.  When an MMC-compliant deck is connected, it should
automatically seek to the correct location and begin playback in sync
with Doggiebox.
	• NOTE OFF events are now scheduled at reasonable times following NOTE
ON events.  This is in accordance with MIDI guidelines, and should result
in things like crash cymbals and hi-hats sounding more appropriately on
compliant hardware.
-----

Let me know how (or at least, if) this works with your deck, Carl.

The idea is that when you play back some sections or the song, your deck
will be told to start playing, and also to stop when Doggiebox stops.  In
addition, a LOCATE command is sent before play, which should cause a seek
to the proper spot automatically -- e.g. if you begin playing a section
which occurs at 1:23 in the song, your deck should auto-seek to 1:23 as well.

-b