[Doggiebox] DB icon/image handling?

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Wed Oct 27 18:25:41 EDT 2004

On 20 10 2004 at 1:18 pm -0400, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

>Actually, I've now noticed that even when I copy some of Mike's icons
>out of the kit and then re-import them, they look uglier in the
>interface, even without my having edited them.  Ben, what does DB do
>with images used as icons?  Are there any tips in terms of size, etc.
>that would help DB handle images at its best?

Hey Carl et al.,

First of all, a note to apologize for the silence lately -- I've been
swamped with other work over the past week and a bit so I've been a bit
slow to respond.

The image-handling code is probably some of the oldest stuff in the
source tree, so I'll have to take a look at this, but I know what you're
talking about and I agree it needs to be overhauled.  I have noticed the
same kind of "generational loss" in copying icons myself in the past, but
have not as yet spent time trying to track it down.  As I recall DB
*should* be storing the full source image format (be it PDF or whatever)
to facilitate clean copies, but clearly something is awry.  Anyway,
thanks for bringing this to my attention again, I'll follow up shortly.

Haven't checked out your latest demo yet either, but I shall!

More soon... hopefully a new beta by next week.  Hopefully.