[Doggiebox] Disaster!

Francis Vaughan francis at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 04:02:30 EDT 2005

On 07/04/2005, at 5:09 PM, Adrian Delso wrote:

> The kernel panics, spontaneous resets and the bloodt beachball are not
> good signs.

You are not wrong.  The bottom line is that these have all the symptoms
of a failing disk.  I'm not kidding, the syndrome is something I have
seen
before, as have others.  Applications vanishing, random crashes, and
the beachball.  The first of these is directory structure corruption.
The
second swap space corruption, the last is page fault IO  taking forever
due
to disk retries.

Download the SMART disk monitor:   http://homepage.mac.com/julianmayer

It should tell you if it is.

However I would be looking to get your valuable data off the disk ASAP.
As the disk degrades it will get worse and worse.  Slowly, and then
more quickly more and more data will fall off, and eventually the kernel
will not boot, then the disk will also fail to boot (i.e. on power up
the
disk's internal controller will be unable to locate config information
on the disk) at which point the disk will fail to be visible to even a
low level recovery program.  Then your data is really gone.

Try to avoid reboots and power cycles if you can, as eventually
one of these will be the last the disk can support.

Francis.

Dr Francis Vaughan						Phone:  +61 8 8303 5592
School of Computer Science				Fax:    +61 8 8303 4366
University of Adelaide 					Mobile:  0414 726247
Adelaide 5005							(+61 414 726247)
Australia						CRICOS Provider Code 00123M

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not
the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and
immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by
anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus
scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.