[Doggiebox] Disaster!

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Apr 7 04:12:15 EDT 2005

On 07-Apr-2005 09:02, Francis Vaughan wrote:
> On 07/04/2005, at 5:09 PM, Adrian Delso wrote:
>> The kernel panics, spontaneous resets and the bloodt beachball are not
>> good signs.
>
> You are not wrong.  The bottom line is that these have all the symptoms
> of a failing disk.

That would be my guess.  Applications and files don't just disappear by
themselves, but dying hard drives can easily "disappear" them.  I had a
drive on my work machine go donw a month or so back that exhibited the
"disappearing stuff" along with "random crashes" symptoms before it
finally kicked it utterly.

> However I would be looking to get your valuable data off the disk ASAP.
> As the disk degrades it will get worse and worse.

Definitely.

I don't know if a 3rd party disc util like DiskWarrior would help stave
off the inevitable or help find missing things, but it might.  My old G3
laptop has a slightly cooked HD and in its last days of active service
whilst I awaited the iBook, it would often "lose" whole directories
(like the user Libraries!) until I recovered them with DiskWarrior.
Mind you, I have heard a disk util like that could theoretically be the
final straw that killed the disc right there and then, too.  Your
mileage may vary.