[Doggiebox] Disaster!

Francis Vaughan francis at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 05:28:45 EDT 2005

On 07/04/2005, at 5:42 PM, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> Mind you, I have heard a disk util like that could theoretically be
> the final straw that killed the disc right there and then, too.

Yes.  Something like DiskWarrior should never be used to try to repair
damage
on a failing disk.  They are only useful for a damaged file system that
is
not sustaining more damage as it works. They tend to assume this.
Once the disk itself starts to fail, trying to fix things usually
simply makes things
worse, and you lose more files faster.  You can use some of these
utilities
to try to retrieve data - but never let them actually write to the disk.

SOP would be to make a block for block copy of the disk onto another
drive,
and run a file syste repair utility on the copy.  Never run it on known
bad
media.

Just get the good data off NOW!

Francis.

Dr Francis Vaughan						Phone:  +61 8 8303 5592
School of Computer Science				Fax:    +61 8 8303 4366
University of Adelaide 					Mobile:  0414 726247
Adelaide 5005							(+61 414 726247)
Australia						CRICOS Provider Code 00123M

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not
the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and
immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by
anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus
scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.