[Doggiebox] Exporting Individual Sounds

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Tue Apr 12 06:29:18 EDT 2005

On 12/04/2005 11:05, Tor Lillegraven wrote:
> I also tend to use DB for quickie demos, but I have also gone all the way to do full-fledged productions with it. And I`m all for being able to export seperate drum parts -- it would really make a huge difference for me.

I haven't gone the separate drum tracks route (yet), and I kinda dig the
"mic the virtual kit" approach, but I definitely see the utility of
being able to turn given drums on or off for playback.  I could easily
see some check boxes next to drum sounds (or groups of drum sounds) in
the kit window when editing so you could "mute" given things on playback.

Ultimately, I think it would be cool to see DB have the ability to
output multichannel sound so you could run, say, multi-channel Firewire
audio out of your Mac, through your multi-channel audio interface,
whence you split out different regular audio cables to run to the
mixer/board/whatever just as if they were coming from individual drum
mics.  But that's probably more complicated to sort out than simply
muting given drums on or off for playback!

ps - I use a woodblock sound to provide a click track to help me play in
time on recordings during sections without drums, and I then go back to
overdub a version of the dbsong from which I've erased the woodblock
clicks -- but that's as much as I've done with turning drums on or off
the hard way!

pps - Oh, I did finally get around to slaving DB to my recording deck
(instead of vice versa) using MIDI/MMC, and it works *great*.  I can
swap drum tracks in and out from under other instruments now without any
trouble syncing things up.  Fab :)

mailto:cea at carlaz.com