[Doggiebox] The Drummer's Bible

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Wed Feb 2 07:26:26 EST 2005

On 02-Feb-2005 11:51, Charlie wrote:
> On 02/02/2005, at 6:21 PM, adrian.delso at btopenworld.com wrote:
>> if you write songs,
>> then I would strongly recommend that you always write your drum parts,
>> afresh every time.
>> If you like to hang the melody and lyric together and fit your drums
>> to that afterwards, then write to a metronome or click track.
>> Otherwise, creating new rhythms can really ignite your song
>> construction and phrasing.
>> Also, you need to put the fills in at the appropriate moments and these
>> should not always be in the same place in all your material! Should
>> they?
>
> Agree with everything here - it's just that every time I try to write a
> pattern for a specific song, it ends up as a 4/4 rock beat  D'oh.
> Hence the need for some sort of push start from a book etc.

Indeed.  My situation is very much that of a non-drummer, and I've
learned a lot by sitting down with drum tabs and programming portions of
them to get that "Oh, so that's why it sounds like that" kinda thing.
So programming up patterns for different basic styles is quite
educational for me.

And when I'm composing, I have always found it works best for me to
start with some basic pattern ideas (whether for drums or guitar or
whatever) and then start twiddling them in different ways.  Now that
I've done a few demos using DB for drums, I find it a real time-saver to
have the pattern libraries of those songs so I can use different ideas
as starting points.  (And since I have anything but unlimited time to
spend on my music hobby, time-saving is extremely important!)  It's nice
not to have to re-enter a a dozen or so hi-hat hits across a basic 2-bar
pattern when doing a new song (and after all, a lot of rock songs _do_
use similar keep-it-simple-stupid patterns).

So, yes, I certainly wouldn't want to compose everything based on
kit-assembly from a few dozen 1-bar loops, but for me anyway have a
pattern library is a big practical help (and programming the library
gives me ideas just by itself!).

> Then again it's the same with my guitar
> playing -  I was given the heart and soul of an Eric Clapton, but the
> fingers of a Leslie McKeown

Heh, I hear that :)  I have all the finger dexterity and technique of a
one-flippered walrus.  But hey, it's only rock'n'roll (in my case :)