[Doggiebox] The Drummer's Bible

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Wed Feb 2 07:56:44 EST 2005

On 02-Feb-2005 10:13, adrian.delso at btopenworld.com wrote:
> Apart from the cursor oddity in IE6 (I've gone back to IE5), I get
> occasional problems switching between songs, when it goes to  the Doggiebox
> Finder screen and basically refuses to do anything - most of the dropdown
> options are greyed out - and Force Quit is the only option...but no playback
> problems, touch wood.

Huh, haven't run into that one!  Apart from the widely reported cursor
funkiness (and the Carlpatrick error!) I only get the strange "muted
hits" behavior and the crash on playback problem.

> But, hey! It's still the best drum application I've ever used - no question.

Amen!  It's been the major factor in finally getting up off my butt and
composing and recording :)

> David's Ludwig kit is fantastic - you can put all the dynamics into your
> Song, just by selecting Accent, Default, etc. - and then export it to
> whatever recorder you use as a balanced, panned sub-mix; end of story!

I've been using th nskit6 and 7 samples a lot, but recently I've also
been playing with David's Ludwig kit too recently.  It's good fun trying
the same basic dbsong with different kits to see how they sound.  Good
stuff!

> The only thing I've discovered I need to watch is clipping -  if I've got
> too many instruments all falling on the same division. Either thin 'em out
> or reduce the Master Volume - you can always boost it at mixdown time.

Yeah, I record most of my drums "live" out of DB, so I first turn off
MIDI and play the drums from DB to set the levels on my deck.  Then I
turn MIDI back on, and do a recording pass :)  The different kits can
have quite different levels, but thanks to the MIDI syncing (which
pretty much works for me) I can eventually record virtual tracks with
different kits from the same basic dbsong and then check playback to see
how different kits sound with the recorded guitar and bass and stuff.  Cool.