[Doggiebox] "D'oh! 4/4 rock beat again!?!" syndrome

adrian.delso at btopenworld.com adrian.delso at btopenworld.com
Thu Feb 3 07:30:47 EST 2005

Good tips, Dan, to which I'd add (if I may):
- use fills to signal structural changes, such as chord changes/modulation,
start and finish of verse/chorus/bridge. If you can't think of a fill, try
dropping all the drums out for a bar or just leaving the hats going or
anything, really! Keep it fresh and surprising, as long it stays appropriate
to your song.
- remember most drummers have a maximum of four limbs!
- drum tuition books are better for learning about timing and feel, than tab
books, imo. The book I love is Toro's "Ten Commandments of R'nB drumming"
and it is almost entirely practice pieces, with a few bits of tab for
illustrative purposes. Also recommended "Play Rock'n Roll Drums" by Joel
Rothman, WISE Publications and Christopher Norton's "Essential Guide to Pop
Styles for Keyboard", Boosey and Hawkes. Yes, Keyboard, but it also sketches
in drum accompaniment possibilites for each style, which are very good for
building your chops, on using Doggiebox.
I'll shut up now.
Adrian