[Doggiebox] Re: Doggiebox Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4

Dan Costello stellaswindow at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 15:05:38 EST 2005

> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:51:12 +0100
> From: " H?kon Pettersen " <haakon.pettersen at tiscali.no>
> Subject: [Doggiebox] 70s ludwig kit and key assignment.
> Why can't I assign key shortcuts to the Ludwig kit?
> I was trying to do that right now, and all went well until i tried to
> save it.
> A message box pops down that says "Couldn't save document."
> So I can't assign keys in that kit?
> haven't tried doing it with any other kit yet.

I actually experienced that as well, from many kits, using the 1e4
build of DB. I was able to get around this by saving it as a different
name (other than the original kit name-- I just added KB to the end).
It let me save it after that, although I'm not sure exactly why. Ben?
Help?

Then I was puzzled when I went right into a song and they didn't
work... but again, there's a trick. If you quit completely out of DB,
then start up again, it should work. I think DB has to reload the kit
to recognize the changes you've made, or something like that. Not sure.
Ben?!  Help?!?

Another thing I've noticed with DB KB SCs. (ugh...)

You sometimes can't use shortcuts to get directly from one drum type
(ex. ride cymbal) to a VARIANT of that drum type (ex. bell ride).

So, "ride" is (6) on the keypad, and "bell ride" is (7).  I hit (6) to
select "ride," but then if I hit 7 right after that, nothing happens--
DB won't let me select "bell ride" with a keyboard shortcut.

However, I CAN select a different drum type (ex. bass drum) and then go
BACK to a variant. (Or you can go into the drum kit and change the
"type" name to something unique so DB doesn't see it as a variant
anymore, but that sucks.)

So, I have "ride" (6) selected. If I hit "bass drum" (0) it will switch
to it, and THEN if I change to "bell ride" (7) it will let me switch to
that.

BEN?!?!?  HEEELLLLP?!?!?!?!?

> Thanks! Håkon Pettersen, Norway

Welcome to the group, Håkon!