[Doggiebox] Relevance of time signature?

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Thu Feb 10 15:33:27 EST 2005

I have another question for you.

How important is the time signature functionality in Doggiebox?  Does
anyone use anything besides a 4-based meter (e.g. 6|8, 2|2, etc.)?

Some discussions I've had on a few occasions have led me to start
questioning the utility or wisdom in sticking with this western-music
idiom.  When I started out, I thought it would be clever and useful to
give Doggiebox an awareness of real-world musical concepts (a little
smarter than other drum machines).  In practice however -- aside from
identifying the number of beats in the bar -- the time signature does not
serve much purpose in the Doggiebox UI other than pretty looks.

In light of the geometry and editing issues I raised in the previous
message, I'm wondering if it would be advisable to drop the distinction
of time signature in favour of a more rudimentary "just how many beats in
the bar".

Feedback?