[Doggiebox] MIDI Interaction with Roland SPD-S

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Mon Jan 31 05:29:38 EST 2005

On 28-Jan-2005 18:09, Chris Wicklas wrote:
> I have read through past posts and haven¹t been able to find an answer to my
> question. I¹m curious to know if there is a way for me have a Roland SPD-S
> control the start/stop of patterns in DB. I am just a beginner when it comes
> to MIDI, so forgive me if this is a simple question.
> [...]
> The Roland is currently connected to a 1ghz Titanium Powerbook via a USB to
> MIDI controller. I can succussfully use the Roland to record drum parts in
> GarageBand, so I know the connection works. I haven¹t tried it in DB yet.

Well, going the other way certainly works.  That is, Ben has taught DB
enough MIDI that I can hit record on my Roland VS1680 deck and, with a
MIDI/USB interface to my iBook, DB starts playing in sync.  Very handy
when I want to tweak a drum part without changing the tempo.

In theory, it ought to be possible for DB to be taught to listen for a
"play" MMC message from your unit and start playing. Ah, the SPD-S is
some sort of sample trigger thing, no?  Does it send MMC?  I didn't know
GarageBand could be controled via MIDI like that!

Anyway, it's been extremely useful for my MIDI-equipped unit to be able
to take MMC orders from DB, and it would be pretty cool if one could
alternatively configure it so DB would take MMC orders from the MIDI unit.