[Doggiebox] Some beta observations

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Tue Jul 5 05:50:37 EDT 2005

On 04/07/2005 23:42, Michael Carlyle wrote:
> 2) Copied bars do not want to paste into new sections. In order to paste
> copied bars, I first have to provide the correct number of blank bars to
> paste into. Since I can't add multiples in a single operation (see
> above) it is an awkward GUI point.

I noticed points 1 and 3 also, but especially point 2.  I think DB
should mimic the kind copy and paste behavior normally found in word
processors and spreadsheets and such.

If you've got, say, a bar in the clipboard, and there's just a "cursor"
(the blinking red line thing) in the editor, your copied stuff should be
inserted at the point. Units of whole bars should be treated as units;
with 1 or more whole bars in the clipboard and 1 or more whole bars
selected, a paste should replace X number of selected whole bars with Y
number of whole bars.  Same with beats: if you copy three beats, and
then select 3 beats, a paste should replace them directly.   I realize
there's an issue when the number of units in your clipboard doesn't
match the number of units selected, but here DB could just ask if you
want to paste as many units of clipboard as fit into the selected space,
or whether extra space should be inserted to accomodate the extra units
in the clipboard.

This stuff has been debated at various points in the past, no?  Can't
remember what got said then ....

I also had some trouble copying and pasting from the section menu.
Sometimes it would let be highlight a section name, copy it, and then
duplicate it with the same name by pasting -- but sometimes not.  I
couldn't figure out the circumstances which affect this working or not.

When working out the basics of a drum part in DB, I do a *lot* of making
basic sections and then copying them to tweak them around -- I suspect
that's true of many users! -- so having copy'n'paste'n'replace-or-not
working smoothly and "invisibly" would be great :)

mailto:cea at carlaz.com