Ludwig v2>v3 suggestions (was Re: [Doggiebox] samples vs. velocity changes)

Sion Morris sionwm at cinnamondesign.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 05:58:03 EST 2005

Yes I agree - the most effective way would be a combination of shape
and colour - I only used the solid block only method for speed really
and because personally I find the colour difference the easiest to
refer to in db.  I'll probably eventually get round to making use a
bank of ready made icons in both shape (simple, clear and based very
loosely on the actual drum) but heavily biased colour.... The shape
would be a tweak as far as I'm concerned though.

The best use of shape would be to differentiate between the sampled
velocity variation as opposed to the db volume controlled velocity  ...
so for example a snare drum sampled at top velocity might be a solid
red square filling the whole of the icon's area.. a lower velocity
sample might be a smaller red square, not filling the whole area ...
and a lower velocity still could be even smaller etc. The software
volume on each sample can be represented (as it is already) by the
tinting of the icon. This would communicate as clearly as possible the
sound and pattern.

Cheers

Sion Morris
Liverpool