more ns_kit7 dbkit stuff (was Re: [Doggiebox] Mike's song)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Wed Mar 16 11:36:32 EST 2005

On 16-Mar-2005 09:40, Sion Morris wrote:
> Carl, [...] I was
> wondering if you had a version of ns kit 7 with the drums mapped to
> midi? I seem to remember you doing a bit on the midi side of db some
> time back. Can you email it to me or post it up somewhere if you have
> please?

I've been working on this, but the current version of the dbkit:
a) a doesn't have all the ns_kit7free samples linked yet, and
b) has samples mapped to their General MIDI instrument (or something
close!), but the MIDI mappings don't contain velocity info (all
velocities are 127).

Still, I've put a zipped version of the current version "as is" online:
<http://www.carlaz.com/music/Carls_nskit7.dbkit.zip>

This version also has links to some non-ns_kit7 oddities in it: the
GarageBand cowbell samples ('cause I gotta have more cowbell!), the ns
woodblock samples (I use them as beat keepers on count-ins and such),
and a muted crash sample I made by editing one of the ns_kit7free crash
samples in Audacity (though one could easily relink to another muted
crash sample, like from ns_kit6 or whatever!).

When I finish adding all the ns_kit7free samples and then twiddling the
velocities appropriately, I'll post a fixed up version so that people
can download the kit with the complete mappings and then blow away
whatever they feel is excess to their own needs.  Having *all* the
ns_kit7free samples in the interface would probably be rather
overkillish :) though having a good range of some things might be useful
... like the snares, so you can do long cresendos in a fairly realistic
way.

I wish there were half-open hats in ns_kit7free, but hey ....  Maybe in
the eventual pay-version of ns_kit7 (which, it is promised, will contain
_shedloads_ of samples).

> I'd also forgotten how useful the icons were - as I was scratching my
> head over icon design and the Ludwig kit. Are these your ns icons Mike?

An added note: My ns_kit icons imitate Mike's designs, though I've tried
a few slightly different approaches here and there.  I've also often
grouped and named the dbkit drums in slightly different ways than in
Mike's kit (so, actually, Mike's comealive.dbsong is much easier to view
by opening it with Mike's ns_kit7 dbkit than with my version!).