[Doggiebox] Re: Doggiebox Digest, Vol 21, Issue 14

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Mar 17 05:10:31 EST 2005

On 17-Mar-2005 00:33, Sion Morris wrote:
> Thanks for the link Carl. I was hoping it would fix the links to the
> samples that are in Mike's - but sadly not. I might have a go re loading
> them from the originals or just hang on for your completed kit... yes
> that sounds like a good idea...

Not sure what the problem you're having with Mike's kit and the samples
is -- it just works for me.  If you have Mike's song (not to be confused
with the Phish piece ...) and dbkit and the ns_kit7free WAV pack, then
popping open the dbkit in the kit editor and fixing its links to the
samples ought to get you in business (oh, you'll probably need to look
in the right place for the dbkit when you open the dbsong, too, since
everyone keeps everything in different places on their individual HDs,
but that's usual).

My ns_kit7 dbkit arranges things slightly differently than Mike's, so
there's a whole bunch of conversion that's needed to switch between the
two, for all that they use the same sounds.  I just use Mike's kit for
checking out Mike's song :)

Speaking of conversion, I ran into another Patrickcarl error last night
that DB wouldn't straighten out on its own.  I eventually had to choose
a drum sound that I didn't otherwise use in the dbsong and go scanning
through the playlist looking for it.  Odd .... I've also noticed that
when converting, if DB sees a sample with the same name and assume you
want it, it will ignore your request to actually change to a different
sample (this can have an odd result if the expected "snare 4" is 4th of
4, but DB remaps to a dbkit where "snare 4" is 4th of, say, 12!)

> I did something similar, funnily enough with adding a cowbell to an
> earlier ns kit as I too have  a feever and the only medicine is more
> cowbell!. There's a song on my site (below) using it if you're
> interested - Xris under the 2004 tab.

Ooo, gotta check it out :)

Strangely, I haven't actually worked up any song-length pieces with
cowbell yet -- mostly just trying to work out the intro to "Lowrider" ;)
and little Afro-Caribbean bell patterns -- but I've always dug the sound :)

> There an imported tambourine there
> too... and I'm eagerly awaiting David Holloway's new Ludwig recordings
> featuring tambourine.

Ah, yes, tambourine!  That might be handy.  Though as with hand claps, I
might be tempted to record that live :)  I could _probably_ afford to
add a tambourine to the maracas, guacharaca, and shakers I have in my
hand percussion collection ....

Hell, I suppose I could get a hand-held cowbell, too!  That would be fun :)