[Doggiebox] heavy metal/hard rock drums

Corey Knafelz corey.knafelz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 16:41:13 EDT 2005

To get what I think is a pretty heavy drum sound, I actually combine
the ns_kit with The Tama Swingstar kit, both of which I got from the
doggiebox file library.

The reason I blend them is I like the flexibility when programming as
far as snares (left hand, right hand, buzzes, etc) and cymbals
(sampled at different velocities) in nskit but the Tama kit's samples
simply have a *much* bigger rock sound.

I did a few demos last weekend. Here's how I use them both:

\\ demo 1
- programmed beat with nskit in doggiebox.
- export as audio into protools, send down bus 1-2 to slight
compressor and slight reverb
- recorded other instruments: guitars/bass on 3 new tracks
- sent bass out into a russian (green) big muff, back in on new track
although "very much fuzzier"
- back to doggiebox, saved as tama kit (removed open high hats)
exported as audio to new stereo track in protools
- opened original nskit, ditched *seriously* cheesy toms, re-exported
- imported/replaced audio for original drums
- send new drums down bus 3-4 to lo-fi plugin (like distortion, clips
out the sound)
- send new drums out to RNC1773 set to *extreme* compression (we're
talking mountain freaking dew here doooood), back in to new track
- build mix, bounce to stereo

http://www.fuzzylogical.com/themb/demos/01_demo_01.mp3

\\ demo 2
- programmed beat with nskit in doggiebox.
- export as audio into protools, send down bus 1-2 to slight
compressor and slight reverb
- recorded other instruments: guitars/bass on 4 new tracks
- back to doggiebox, saved copy of track, switched kit to Tama,
erased all beats but snare export new snare
- imported new snare new track send down bus 3-4 to compressor
- build mix, bounce to stereo

http://www.fuzzylogical.com/themb/demos/02_demo_02.mp3

Hope this is useful Sam. I'm no pro but I had a good time recording
this stuff. I'd be interested to hear other people's processes too
for perspective.

Corey

Links/Stuff
RNC1773 Really Nice Compressor. Love it. It's the shizz for $199 -
http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.HTM
Bass & Guitars are all Tech 21 Trademark 10 http://www.tech21nyc.com/
tm10.html
Used a Fender Tele Plus from the 90's and a '68 Vox Spitfire direct
out over xlr to protools
Effects - reissue green Russian EH Big Muff Pi, 80's Boss Super
Overdrive SD-1 http://guitargeek.com/gearview/59/

Um that's it. I should get back to work.