[Doggiebox] DB, Cubase, tempo, and MIDI

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Sep 22 11:21:13 EDT 2005

This is only partially related to Doggiebox, but it's been quiet here,
so I thought I'd post about it anyway.

I had been yearning for audio interface for my iBook, and finally
settled on a Tascam US-122 (which, having heard Mike Carlyle's excellent
results, seemed likely to give good results without breaking the bank).
  It came with Cubase LE, and I've been having fun poking around with
that.  One of the things I've been trying to figure out how to do easily
is create a "groove map" for a piece has subtle tempo changes so that
Cubase will know where those changes occur and be able to use its MIDI
quantize functions correctly if I were then to layer MIDI instrument
tracks into the piece.

So, I've created my DB drum track and have a fine two-channel stereo
AIFF that I can import into Cubase.  In this I guess I have some
advantage over a recording of a real drummer, since I know exactly where
and how great all the tempo changes are.  Cubase has some kind of "find
audio hitpoints" function that's supposed to scan my audio file and
figure out where the beats are -- I'm just not sure how well that will
work, since there are after all different amounts of drumming at
different times and I haven't just got a techno kick drum whacking away
at 1-2-3-4 throughout.

I was wondering if I might be able to take advantage of DB's clever
option to output a MIDI file.  If I loaded that MIDI file into Cubase,
presumably there's some way for Cubase to pull tempo changes from the
MIDI file, and I could use that as a kind of "master" tempo map so that
I could later quantize my shaky keyboard playing or whatever.  I could
just mute the MIDI drum file itself and have audio provided by my AIFF
file exported from DB.

Any Cubase wizards here have any ideas about how perhaps to approach this?

mailto:cea at carlaz.com