[Doggiebox] DB, Cubase, tempo, and MIDI

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Fri Sep 23 07:25:36 EDT 2005

On 23/09/2005 11:55, Charlie wrote:
> FWIW - in Pro Tools, I import the AIFF and the MIDI file and line  them
> up at the same start point.  PT imports the tempo (and tempo  changes)
> from the MIDI file - (this is also handy for general  navigation).    I
> mute the MIDI track and - hey presto - you have a  nice tempo set up.
> If the kit I'm using doesn't have MIDI notes  assigned, I just assign
> any old thing to each sound as I never  actually use the MIDI drums to
> trigger any sounds - I find the DB set  as good ( or indeed better) than
> any Pro Tools MIDI sounds I have

Yeah, I have no interest in doing MIDI drums from Cubase -- I just want
to use my AIFF from DB :)  I still haven't quite figured out whether I
can use a DB-produced MIDI track to automatically inform Cubase about
tempo changes in the piece, but it looks like it should take long for me
to map it out using Cubase's tempo track controls, as Mike C. suggested.

My plan is to try sketching out arrangements in Cubase and then go back
to my VS-1680 once I know how the song will go :)  It's just faster to
hack and slash about on the computer's UI than the old '1680's, but I
think I actually get a little bit better sound on the '1680 still.

But I can control the 1680 from either DB or Cubase, so it's all good :)

mailto:cea at carlaz.com