[Doggiebox] test MP3 from ns_kit7full dbkit/dbsong

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Apr 20 10:34:12 EDT 2006

On 19/04/2006 15:37, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> ps - still crunching slowly towards a testable nskit7full (selection
> thereof!) dbkit ... gotta sort out the snares and a kick and then I
> should be at least close enough to try it out!

Well, I finally got enough a dbkit assembled using a modest subset of
the ns_kit7 samples that I've been able to start trying it out :)

I picked a not terribly complicated dbsong file and converted it for use
with the new dbkit.  I stuck output from the dbsong using both the
ns_kit7full and ns_kit7free dbkits as 192kbps MP3s on my web site:

http://www.carlaz.com/music/ns_kit7full_test.mp3
http://www.carlaz.com/music/ns_kit7free_test.mp3

There are some slight technical differences, such as the free version
uses lots of fully open hats where the full version uses partially
closed hats, but otherwise you can really hear the sonic differences
between the full and free versions -- in terms of drum models, tunings,
and perhaps mic placements -- quite clearly.  You can also hear my
simplisitc drum programming quite clearly ;)

I'm wondering actually, if the snares and toms come across a little too
muted in the full version and whether I'll need to pump them up using
DB's volume tweaking in the dbkit editor?  Of course, I haven't actually
tried the new version in a mix with other instruments yet -- I just
cranked this out quickly during my lunch break :)  Also, the samples
themselves were somewhat brutally crunched down from 48KHz to 44.1KHz
for use in DB.

I'll post up my "draft" dbkit for ns_kit7full as soon as I get a chance
(though obviously you'll only be able to use it if you've got the right
subset of samples available and downsampled to 44.1).

mailto:cea at carlaz.com