[Doggiebox] Doggiebox Version 2

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Jan 5 07:03:44 EST 2006

On 30/12/2005 23:15, Charlie wrote:
> The audio wouldn't need any editing abilities, just an import  function
> and play/mute button.  It would always play in correct time  as it was
> recorded against the original DB file.  The only weird bit  would be
> starting the DB part at bar x and having the sound file know  where to
> start.

I was originally skeptical of this idea, but after some more messing
around in DB and Cubase and GB, I started to become more convinced of
its utility :)

It wouldn't need any UI other than an indication that a particular
"accompanying audio file" had been chosen.  But, yes, how to specify the
relative start times would be an issue; the accompaniment might kick-off
either before or after the drums. One quick'n'dirty implementation might
simply be to force synchronized audio play and DB start, leaving it up
to the user to ensure there were sufficient blank bars in DB (if the
drums come in later) or the correct amount of silence at the start of
the accompanying audio (if the drums come in first).

I would, though, be a bit concerned about memory issues -- I've often
noticed DB getting upset and doing things like "skipping" and dropping
hits when using dbkits with lots of large samples.  Assuming DB2 has
gained the ability to make DB kits where a range of samples at different
velocities can be specified for a particular drum variant, with DB
automatically picking the approriate sample for a given hit based on a
relative velocity set by the user via a slider in the UI (or something),
then that's only going to make it easier for users to implement dbkits
with hefty sample banks behind them, and so increase the amount of
memory needed.  Though of course one wouldn't need to have a high
quality AIFF for your "accompanying audio file"!  For the purposes of
audition whilst tweaking the drum part, a low-bit rate AAC would do the job.

And now for something almost completely different, I had another thought
for a DB feature.  What about drag'n'drop of hits in the UI?  (This
isn't already implemented, right?  I mean, I tried doing it and it
didn't seem to work, but it's always possible I've fallen out of step
with the latest beta!)  Like you had put a snare hit on beat 3 but then
decide you need it on beat 2.  Instead of erasing the existing hit and
inputing a new hit, one could just "grab" the existing hit and shove it
over to its new position.  This kind of feature might also become more
useful when relative velocity settings are there, since in such cases
one might have to not just input a new hit, but reset the desired
velocity too.  That could get to be a pain; easier to just move beats or
groups of beats around, if possible!

Another note: I'm still finding myself confused by copying and pasting,
especially with the Sections list.  I often want to take a basic section
I've made and duplicate it as a template for a new section with minor
variations.  Sometimes I seem to be able to select a section from the
Sections list and copy/paste it to create a duplicate section, sometimes
not.  Perhaps a cheap and cheerful UI solution would be to allow
right-clicking a section name to pop up a contextual menu that offered
the option to make a copy of the section?  Or something like that.  (I
also sometimes find myself getting tangled up by whether the cursor
focus is in the Section list or in the Pattern Editor.

Mmmm, must keep slogging away at rough draft ns_kit7 dbkit .... :)

mailto:cea at carlaz.com