[Doggiebox] Doggiebox Version 2

Charlie the_lonely_sea at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 5 08:25:49 EST 2006

On 05/01/2006, at 8:03 PM, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On 30/12/2005 23:15, Charlie wrote:
>> The audio wouldn't need any editing abilities, just an import
>> function and play/mute button.  It would always play in correct
>> time  as it was recorded against the original DB file.  The only
>> weird bit  would be starting the DB part at bar x and having the
>> sound file know  where to start.
>
> I was originally skeptical of this idea, but after some more
> messing around in DB and Cubase and GB, I started to become more
> convinced of its utility :)
>
> It wouldn't need any UI other than an indication that a particular
> "accompanying audio file" had been chosen.

And a volume level....  (it's something I just thought of)

> But, yes, how to specify the relative start times would be an
> issue; the accompaniment might kick-off either before or after the
> drums. One quick'n'dirty implementation might simply be to force
> synchronized audio play and DB start, leaving it up to the user to
> ensure there were sufficient blank bars in DB (if the drums come in
> later) or the correct amount of silence at the start of the
> accompanying audio (if the drums come in first).

That's what I envisioned, as it's how I operate - I create a BD song
and add an Intro, usually about 10 bars of hi-hat hits and a cymbal
crash on the last one to let me know the real stuff starts next bar.
This gives you a nice thing to tap the foot along with as you set the
mic up etc.  When I redo the DB part, the intro becomes 10 bars of
silence and the new drum import matches up perfectly with what's
already recorded.

The main issue as I see it is when you have the audio in DB, and for
arguments sake, you want to listen to bars 78 to 82 to see what is
needed.  The audio would need to sync here.   One for Ben's magic I
guess  : - )

Cheers

Charlie