[Doggiebox] Re: Adding audio to Doggiebox Version 2

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Fri Jan 6 11:47:24 EST 2006

On 05/01/2006 20:06, Sterling Beckwith wrote:
> I wonder if Ben might not have more important things to do for us.
> Isn't combining various tracks from various sources--e.g. audio with
> MIDI, or with DB--what the bigtime sequencing programs like GB,  Reason,
> Live, etc. are all about?

Well, those apps definitely involve editing and mixing your all your
audio.  This idea seemed more about letting DB play back a reference
file for convenience, just to cut a couple of steps in seeing whether
the tweaks to your drum track seem to have been the right ones to gel
with the rest of your instruments.  It wouldn't be displaying the
waveform or anything, or letting you mix or apply effects or whatnot. To
properly make a song with your drums you'd still have to export your
audio and stick it into your multitrack recording software.

When I first saw it I thought it _was_ about making DB closer to a
multitrack recorder, which indeed seems like a bad idea.  When I
realised it was actually much simpler, just about saving steps, I
thought it was more interesting -- though I agree it would hardly be a
_vital_ feature.  I'd still much rather see the "multi-velocity sample
range" handling features, higher sample rates, and MIDI
import-that-strips-the-percussion-stuff features come in :)

> wouldn't it make  more sense
> to let one of the big boys do the synchronizing, and just  switch back
> and forth between the sequencer and DB when needed to  tweak the drum
> parts?

Well, that's what we do now :)

mailto:cea at carlaz.com