[Doggiebox] midi files

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Mon Jun 19 05:17:47 EDT 2006

On 17/06/2006 16:41, David Weisinger wrote:
> this might seem a backward question, as most people
> would use doggiebox to either create a midi file to
> import and use some other wiz bang software to output
> the file as good drum sounds or export the audio (and
> I've found that the drum samples on doggiebox for a
> standard kit are very good), but I was wondering if
> there is any way of importing a midi file into
> doggiebox that I created somewhere else ?

Not backwards at all, I think.  It's been suggested before that it would
be pretty cool if Doggiebox would slurp up the percussion parts of  a
standard GM .mid file and let you choose samples to use from your chosen
.dbkit.  This is, perhaps, a slightly more complicated than having DB
output a .mid file (introduced in v1.2, I think) so it hasn't been
implemented yet.

IMO, this would certainly be a great feature for DB v2.0.  Being able to
scoop drum parts from any freely available midi file for re-editing and
re-tweaking in Doggiebox looks like a great slacker's way of increasing
one's library of drum parts for DB :)

Not sure where Ben is at, developmentwise.  One suspects Real Life
intervenes from time to time! ;)  I've been messing around with DB a
lot, recently, tweaking my dbkit for ns_kit7 (full) and composing up
parts for some new recordings, so I'd be keen to hear any news/rumours
of what's in the pipeline .....

mailto:cea at carlaz.com