[Doggiebox] re: boxes

Sion Morris sionwm at cinnamondesign.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 09:08:23 EST 2006

Thanks for your thoughts Carl (and Sterling)

Carl, I think your idea, would work if Ben turned the process on its
head - so that the playlist box was the starting and main work area
and my poposed boxes in the playlist would create entries in the
sections window. The sections window would then be a kind of
automatic library of bars for the song, but the main composing would
happen in playlist. Library bars could be dragged over as currently,
or whole bar sections copied and pasted in the playlist window.I feel
that this would feel more natural and encourage variation and editing.

You might create a component (say verse) in the playlist box, and
then control click the first gray box to make a bar - this would then
automatically appear in the sections box (you could name it at this
point or maybe there could be some other logical naming convention
employed). If you wanted this bar to repeat as is currently done with
numbers to the right , you could again control click to set the
number of repetitions. The key graphical thing here though would be
that you could then see the repetitions as slightly lighter versions
of the original box - this would allow you to see visually exactly
how the song looks.  You could then cut and paste away at sections or
components . This would allow such things as different fill rolls at
the end of each verse to be easily done and provide the framework for
endless tinkering - which is what we all love to do right?

What does anyone else think about this? Would it cause you a major
programmer's headache Ben?

Sion Morris
Liverpool

www.cinnamondesign.co.uk/music/music.html