[Doggiebox] License Key with new beta

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Wed Jul 21 15:25:20 EDT 2010

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote at 1:50 PM (-0500) on 7/21/10:

>Matt's solution (having the license key in the clipboard when opening
>DB) works though.  I'm sure I remember doing that before, so it may be
>in the readme or other documentation.  (Admittedly, not a wholly
>intuitive approach, but hey ....)

So, as everybody has noticed, the new build fails to recognize existing
registration keys under a lot of circumstances.

For the technically inclined, this appears to be a result of some change
in how NSUserDefaults/CFPreferences (two Mac OS facilities for storing
preferences) behave when a program is built against the 10.5 SDK.
Previous builds were linked against the 10.4 SDK.

Back in the day, when you activated Doggiebox and if your user had admin
privileges, the registration key would be written to /Library/
Preferences/Network/ca.zygoat.doggiebox.plist.  This "Network"
subdirectory, so far as I can tell, is not how things are done anymore
and the system routines no longer look there.  Going forward, Doggiebox
stores the reg key file under /Library/Preferences/, or its counterpart
in the user's home directory.

The somewhat obscure method of activation -- copying the registration
key to the clipboard, and then relaunching -- has been the process since
day one, which I designed to be clever and easy for the first-time
user.  Of course, it is also completely non-obvious if you don't happen
have your key and instructions at hand!

Anyway, the bottom line is that once re-activated, Doggiebox (all
versions) should resume working as previously.

BTW, Carl... congratulations on the kid! :)

Ben Kennedy (chief magician)