[Doggiebox] Choose kit doesn't load?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Thu Aug 1 09:18:32 EDT 2013

On 31 Jul 2013, at 20:36 , laf6354 at comcast.net wrote:
> I've never gotten too into it, I just use the kits as they are with great results.

I've almost always used a few kits of my own creation (based on one that Mike Carlyle did a long time ago!). And I do sometimes make slight adjustments as I learn more about what (I think) I'm doing.  For instance, long ago, I had a lot of far-out panning in the kit, then for a long time I brought everything back to the center; but in the last few weeks I've been experimenting with some subtle panning on some instruments -- mostly toms, cymbals, and hats a little bit.  (I keep reading about people who do what seems to me _very_ wide panning of hats -- really? My gut tells me that hats and ride are fairly strong components of the basic rhythm feel, and want to stay close the center with the snare and kick ... but my guts could be wrong, I suppose!)

But for, say, a given cymbal, I have multiple velocities of a straight stick hit, and of grabbed/mute hits, and of mallets ... even in a pretty standard song drum part, I might have 3 or 4 different straight stick hit velocities for a given cymbal. So there's a lot of re-tweaking of the most common 3 or 4 velocities of different parts of the kit as I play with the panning. (It's just too much twiddly work re-panning ALL the, say, 40-odd variants of each instrument, just to check how I like a given setting!)  And if I miss one, I'll suddenly hear a hit panned out to +50% or something instead of 25%, and think, "Whoops! Better go back and find that and fix it and audition that part again!"

All that said, I certainly hear people getting great results with the supplied kits. I just like playing around with mine, really. :)