[Doggiebox] 2.1 beta for Catalina, Big Sur, and M1 Macs!

Ben Kennedy ben at zygoat.ca
Fri Jan 15 17:08:20 EST 2021

Happy new year all!

First off, my heartfelt appreciation to those of you who've responded (both on- and off-list) over the past couple of weeks. It's gratifying to still find so much enthusiasm for Doggiebox after all this time, and also to start reconnecting with some familiar old folk! I hope everybody had a reasonable holiday break, and are managing to cope with all the world events that just keep getting wilder.

To usher in 2021, it's time for a new build (1J02)! Grab it by using "Check for Update…" from the menu, or from http://www.doggiebox.com/distribution/Doggiebox-1J02.zip.

There are quite a few more underlying changes this time around, mainly to support app sandboxing (a modern security regime to improve protection and also necessary for the Mac App Store). This should all be largely invisible, but will have some bearing on how songs point to their drum kit files. As a consequence, you might once again be prompted to locate drum kits when you first re-open a song.

Changes that should not impact the user experience:

- Song files save a security-scoped reference to their drum kits.
- Drum kit files save security-scoped references to any linked sound files.
- Internal memory management uses ARC instead of manual reference counting.
- App is sandboxed.

Improvements to defects in Doggiebox 2.0.x and earlier:

- Fixed bug where doing “Save As” of a drum kit more than once would create a corrupted kit.
- Fixed bug where exporting sounds or saving drum kits containing non-LPCM sound files could fail.
- Fixed crash when loading a drum kit with linked sound files that can’t be found.
- Fixed bug that prevented adding linked sounds to a new un-saved drum kit.

In addition, the sample files (demo song and drum kits) are now packaged inside the app bundle, so the total download size is a few MB bigger than it used to be.

As mentioned above, there might be some side effects related to locating drum kits when opening songs, and/or using drum kits with linked sound files. In each case, once you save the file, it should then re-open subsequently without incident. If that does not seem to be true, or you observe other weirdness along these lines, please let me know -- there could well be lingering bugs in this regard.

cheers,

-ben